Slow ConnectionBigpipe Troubleshooting
Follow these steps if your connection just seems to be really slow. That means that it’s taking much longer than expected to download pages or files, and/or streaming video is really frustrating.
1. Check the speed issue is not just limited to a specific site or service provider.
Visit a different site or service. If that alternate site or service seems to be working okay it is likely the speed issue is limited to that original site/service. You’ll need to wait it out and try again.
2. Check that you are not out of range of your internal wireless network.
Try accessing the original site or service from a different location within your property. If the alternate location seems to be working okay it is likely the speed issue was occurring because you were on the edge of your WiFi network.
3. Check there is no load on your wireless network.
If there are other people in your household, check they are not downloading large files or streaming video. You might also like to check that your computer is not automatically updating your applications or operating systems.
4. Check you are not the victim of a malware attack.
If you have access to anti-virus software, run that to eliminate the possibility that malware is causing your slowdown.
5. Check the slowdowns are not limited to peak times.
If the slowdown is happening over a number of days, check when they are occurring. If you find they are regularly occurring between the hours of 4:00pm and 11:00pm then it is possible the slowdown is a result of peak traffic.
Please note: While we try to provide the fastest possible speed it is possible that it will slow down during peak periods.
6. Complete a hard restart on your modem/router:
- Unplug the modem/router.
- Wait for 30 seconds.
- Plug in the modem/router.
- Wait 5 minutes.
7. Create a support query, including the following information:
- If none of these steps fixed the problem, please go to our Contact Us page.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Slow connection.”
- Mention that you’ve completed all of the steps outlined above.
- Include a link to the Speedtest that you have run while the computer is connected directly to your incoming connection using an ethernet cable
- A copy of your modem statistics (which you can get from logging into your modem’s GUI)
- Whether you have a Master Filter installed.